Why Consider Flood Coverage – especially in 2020.
Winter is coming – which means stormy weather is coming too! Team WIS&G encourages you to consider purchasing flood insurance before the winter rainy season arrives.
Here are a few details you should know about flood insurance:
- Almost all property insurance policies exclude flood. Flood is considered an excess of water affecting two or more acres of land or two or more properties.
- Flood insurance has a 30-day waiting period.
- Flood is the most common natural disaster in the United States.
Here are a few reasons why 2020 is an especially good year to consider flood coverage….
- We have been in a drought – heavy rain years follow droughts! You have likely seen the predictions on the news and recent weather patterns are creating a higher risk of flooding.
- Our Record-Breaking Fire Season. With California’s 2020 Fire Season breaking records for acres burned – all areas of the state are at greater risk for mudflow (commonly known as mudslides). The scorched land is also unable to absorb water, creating more runoff and opportunities for flood. Plants typically prevents erosion, but fires burned away all vegetation and roots. With all these factors present, mudflow is a much bigger risk than it has been in decades.
- Snowmelt. In the Central Valley – we also experience water flow from snowmelt that could cause a flood.
P.S. Here are 3 things to remember about flooding:
- Just one inch of water in an average-sized home can cause more than $25,000 in damage: In 2017, the average flood claim payment was more than $90,000.
- Flooding can happen anywhere, not just in high-risk areas: More than 25% of flood insurance claims come from outside the high-risk flood area.
- Most insurance policies do not cover flood damage: With a flood policy from the NFIP, you are covered up to $250,000 for your home and $100,000 for belongings.
You know you cannot control the weather, but you can prepare for it. FEMA and the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) are encouraging all California residents to purchase flood insurance to protect their homes and families
Buying flood insurance is one of most important steps you can take to protect your investment before the next storm.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call at (800) 790-4875.